Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Long Time, New Post

First, I am writing this post sick, under the considerable influence of a UHS prescription that does not allow me to drive, operate heavy machinery, or even really leave my house. (Seriously, I was told not to leave my house while I'm on this).

Have I ever mentioned before in class that I'm sort of "crunchy"? That I'm a vegan, holistic, yoga retreat type. Well, then it's not to much of a stretch to imagine that I'm not much a fan of the doctor's office, or scary prescription drugs. But alas, here I am, on said prescription drugs, blogging away while I wince due to light sensitivity.

And what, pray tell, should I blog about on this rainy Tuesday? I think I'm going to talk about podcasts. Particularly I am going to talk about the Savage Love Cast, which is Dan Savage's weekly podcast.


Who is Dan Savage? He is a sex advice columnist based out of Seattle, with a widely syndicated sex advice column. He has become infamous for redefining the names of scandal ridden politicians (Santorum) and for being an outspoken lgbt rights activist. Locally, you can read it in the Metro Times, which is print every Wednesday. Also, he has appeared several times on This American Life, including the tv episode.

Why is Dan Savage so great? His advice is really frank and honest. Sometimes he's brutally honest, making him very, very funny. I can always expect a laugh when I read his column, which is great, because I'm also getting really good advice. I also like that he takes a strong stance in support of Planned Parenthood, gay marriage, and issues that affect lgbt community. To me, his humor and wit enhances his foundation of logic, making him the perfect champion for his cause.

Below I've posted a video with him debating Tony Perkins on CNN. Tony Perkins is anti-gay marriage and gay rights. Dan Savage is particularly funny when he uses the bible to tear down his arguments.


Dan Savage's podcast is more of the same kind of humorous, solid advice. Besides trying to convince you all why Dan Savage is such a great guy, I also want to share why the podcast is such a product of the New Media. The Savage Love Cast is an example of a New Media podcast for a number of reasons:

1. It is produced exclusively for the web, as in, it never airs on the radio
2. Because of this, the language used is not dictated by FCC rules and regulations
3. The podcast comes in addition to a daily blog (as opposed to just the print column)
4. The podcast is unrehearsed, and is based on calls. This reminds me of the rawness of other aspects of new media, like youtube

These elements are important because while the idea of just listening to someone talk is pretty old media, the circumstances of the podcast are very new media. The only radio program he would be able to make it on would be satellite radio, but in the world of the internet, he can produce content without the downside of FCC regulations, and pre-programming.

I thought I would offer this up as another example of a good podcast. I also like Radio Lab, which has been featured several times on This American Life.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie,

    I like this post a lot. I know its not exploding with creativity or profoundly new media, and it doesn't try and wrestle with my intellect. But, it does feel like I just had a conversation with you, and that is a feeling central to successful blogging.

    It's concise, easy to read, informative, and has a friendly tone. You make it personal, but it is not a narrative. I find it is hard for me not to write a book each blog post, but you accomplish this very well. I'd keep reading your blog.

    Feel better soon!

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about Dan Savage being more "new media" than some of the other podcasts I've seen on our class blog. It's interesting that a podcast seems newer if it appears exclusively on the web; I had never thought about that before, but I think there's something interesting to be said about that. Huffington Post is seen as sort of the pinnacle of new media, and it appears only as an online publication. Does Savage's broadcast have the same effect, compared to, say, This American Life, which is (I believe) also on the radio? Interesting

    I think it's also important that the language is uncensored (particularly in a sex-advice broadcast). One of the strengths of new media and the internet in general is the so-called "democratization" of content; a piece about something that the FCC might consider too racy or otherwise objectionable, even if it's important, might be edited on the radio. Here it's in complete form.

    Hope to see you in class, feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stephanie,

    Thanks for introducing another podcast and perspective on the new-media-ness of podcasts.

    Your last point struck me in particular: "rawness" as a defining attribute of new media. We haven't specifically emphasized that as a tell-tale sign that something is new media, yet I think it's accurate when you consider things the class is willing to label "new media": blogging, tweeting, etc.

    It's not a sufficient attribute, as there are a lot of raw products that aren't new — letter-writing, for instance. But in many ways I think it only helps qualify things like not-for-radio podcasts as new media.

    ReplyDelete